The objective of MIS is to review and strengthen the existing HMIS at RHB, ZHD, Woreda , Health facilities and community levels to produce timely information for planning management and effective decision-making. These taskforces meet monthly base and the review the data collected to report to the upper levels and calculate some health indicators in comparison with the target given. They have registration book for meeting minute recording and put the action plan for the problems encountered by assigning the responsible body.
The regional health bureau has adopted the FMOH revised and reduced number of reporting formats, produced guidelines, train staff at all levels and instituted a computerized data system. This is an HMIS task Force which is responsible for information utilization and feed the top management with information for informed-decision making.
The regional health management information system has faced challenges of structural deficiency at ZHD, WorHOs and HFs levels which contributed to the poor management at all levels of health infrastructure. Availability of timely, complete and authentic information is crucial for planning, allocation of inputs and decision-making and for efficient service delivery.
The available information system facilitates the decentralization process but the information lacks quality and authenticity. Utilizing information for decision-making and providing feedback to concerned parties is not yet a common practice. There is an initiative in this respect which needs further strengthening. The focus in the coming years will be to strengthen the management system in the health sector and evaluate reports for completeness and timeliness and to assist the management through efficient information system.
- Establish/strengthen the existing manual based HMIS utilization at WorHO and Health facilities levels.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and standardized regional HMIS and ensure the use of information for evidence based planning and management of health services
- To achieve 90% completeness and timely submission of routine health and administrative reports
- Achieve 80 % of evidence based planning
- Establish/strengthen and expand the existing Regional Computerized Data Base management System at Zone, WorHO and Health facilities levels (Hospitals, some HCs).
- Establish Local Area network (LAN) and Wide Area Network(WAN)
- Institutionalize HMIS at all levels
- Build capacity of health workers to analyze, interpret and use health information for making decisions
- Define the minimum standard of inputs required for HMIS at different levels of the health system
- Initiate and sustain regular review meetings and feedback system â€¢ Include reports from private sectors
- Conduct training on the use of health management information system for decision-making purpose at all level R/Zonal for 1500 Managers
- Conduct 200 Training of Trainers on Health Management Information System for Zones & Special Woredas
- Conduct data registry, collection, and compilation, analysis, dissemination and utilization method training for 3000 health workers on HMIS at Hospitals. & Health centers
- Conduct Monitoring and supportive supervision of HMIS utilization at zone/sp. Word level â€¢ Purchase Computers with accessories for Zones, WorHOs, HFs & Regional Computer Laboratory â€¢ Conduct quarterly review meetings for all programs activities at all levels
- Conduct data quality and information use for evidence-based decision making assessment at all levels
- Review the existing data collection tools and report formats
- Establish Local Area Network of computers with in the Regional Health Bureau's different Departments.
- Establish Wide Area Networking of the RHB with ZHDs, Hospitals and WorHOs
- Prepare regional, zonal and Woreda Health profiles all levels
- Strengthen/establish the existing database at Region, zones Woredas and Hospitals
- Strengthen/establish HMIS unit at all levels (by structure & Taskforce formulation)
- Conduct Operational research on Information utilization & health policy implementation
- Conduct Health service delivery unit resource survey
- Basic Computer application training for 500 Woredas, health facilities data encoders
- Print and distribution the reporting formats
- Conduct review meeting annual, bi annual on HMIS at R, Z,W level twice per year for 5 days
- Monitoring and supportive supervision of HMIS utilization at Zonal and Woreda levels twice per year in each a minim of 2 experts with 1driver for 10 to 20 days
- Conducting review meetings with NGOs and private sectors